Federal Street was built in 1910 as a warehouse. Given
its close proximity to the San Francisco financial district,
several telecommunications facilities became
established in the building.
When the dot-com boom hit California,
those existing tenants wished to expand. The owner embarked
on a structural upgrade to take the 150-pound per square
foot load of communications equipment.
The upgrade also brought the
building up to seismic and handicapped codes, and legalized
the current and proposed uses in the building.
Cost of the upgrades was in
excess of $7 million.